The following post was written by John Bigus, the Associate Director – Instructional Media of Online Learning Media. John is a Berklee graduate and holds a degree in Music Production and Engineering. He’s been leading the Notation Mixer project since its inception and gives a heartfelt thanks to Steven Estrella, as well as the many creative people who helped make the new Notation Mixer possible.
The Online Learning Media Development team is pleased to announce the launch of the new and improved PULSE Notation Mixer and Jam Room.
The Notation Mixer is a jam, practice, and teaching tool that synchronizes audio with music notation. This tool is a central feature of the Berklee PULSE Music Method, and is located in the Jam Room on the Berklee PULSE site. Not only do students get to jam with a wide variety of songs from our PULSE song library, they can loop any section for practice, or mute any audio track and be part of the band. The Notation Mixer can also be used for practicing exercises with play-a-longs, studying harmonic analysis, teaching arranging and creating your own mixes.
After considering user and developer feedback we are excited to bring you version 2.0! Here are a few of the new feature additions and improvements to the new Notation Mixer:
• A complete redesign of the user interface.
• Larger notation window to view more notation at one time!
• Syncs up to 16 tracks of audio with notation.
• New count off, click track, and visual cue options.
• New and improved mixer.
• Improved navigation and looping.
• New information window to add teaching instructions and performance tips.
• Single key shortcuts for mouse-free use.
• Online or downloadable User Guide.
In addition, the Jam Room redesign now includes an audio player to preview each of the selectable PULSE songs. The PULSE song Library currently spans multiple genres and includes over 90 sound-alike multi-track recordings with corresponding notation transcriptions, lead sheets and harmonic analysis. There are also 14 new PULSE songs in Notation Mixer format with more on the way!
Here’s a list of the new PULSE sound-alike songs in the Jam Room:
A Change is Gonna Come
A Child is Born
A Night in Tunisia
Anyone Who Had A Heart
Bang A Gong
Don’t Fear the Reaper
Don’t Mess With Bill
Higher (I Want To Take You)
I’ll Be Around
On Green Dolphin St.
We’re excited about the future of the Notation Mixer and the new ways we’ll be using it beyond the Jam Room. Besides its fun jamming capabilities, the versatility of this new version can play a key role in teaching melody, harmony, arranging and music analysis to kids of all ages. We hope you have a chance to check it out!
- Strange Fascination: Why We Love Bowie - January 12, 2016
- Work Study with the Digital Learning Department: Through the Eyes of a Student - December 18, 2014
- Insight from a Digital Learning Multimedia Team Work-Study: an Insider’s Tale - November 5, 2014